For The Love of Running!
I love running and I feel very lucky for it as it keeps me fit and healthy. I started to ponder why all of us might love it and thought that it may help us (on those hard to get out of bed mornings) to share our own motivating reason to keep running so, I asked each runner in my running group to give one reason why they love running.
Our top ten reasons for loving running:
1. I love that it is simple. All I need are some good running shoes. It is very important that we don’t take short cuts here as running in an appropriate, comfortable and supportive shoe is paramount to your longevity as a runner.
2.I love that I can do it outside and breathe in fresh air. It is so good for the soul to go for a run in the park, in the bush or at the beach.
3. I love that I can also do it indoors when the weather is too inclement or it is too late for me to be outside. Treadmill running has been a very positive addition to my running routine as it gives me greater freedom when my day at work goes for longer than intended. Instead of getting stressed or worried that there will be no run for the day I know I have the option of an indoor run. I love that!
4. I love that I can take my running to the water. It helps keep me motivated. Sometimes in the hot summer months it’s such fun and so good for the body to mix it up a little and go I running in the local pool. Find a pool that has an adequate shallow end or some community centers have a shallow child’s pool that is just perfect for running laps.
5. I love that running allows you time and space to think. Sometimes you just need that freedom to clear the head to be able to solve all kinds of issues from the mundane of what’s for dinner, to the more complex life or work decisions. Having that space on your own allows you to think more clearly.
6. I love that I can feel fit and I really do believe that a healthy body goes someway towards achieving a healthy, happy mind.
7. I love that I can take running with me on holidays be it treadmill running or outdoor running.
8. I love that I can enter fun runs with my friends to raise money for charities and feel that I am giving something back to the world.
9. I love that running keeps me in touch with how my body is feeling. It helps me appreciate my body and know it better.
10. I love that I can choose to do it on my own or be social and meet up with friends.
Occasionally I look at my wall and read the list above and it reminds me what is so great about one of life’s simple pleasures, how much I love it and how lucky we all are to have it available to us all.